Saturday, April 11, 2009

Vinyl RecordSale next Saturday

I have been having used vinyl record sales for several years, as a running fund raiser for the Parkersburg site of the agency. I have done this for probably 3-4 years. It was a simple premise: let people know I was gathering old collections of vinyl records, and then several times a year, have a sale of those donated records. Many people do this with book sales, or yard sales, etc. But I wanted to combine my love for music, and my intrigue with musical trivia and nostalgia, with a chance to raise a little money, and get people together around music, who might learn a little about Children's Home Society in the bargain. I made a decision early on to sell the records for $1 each; no matter what they might be worth on e-bay or such, just to keep my part of it simple. Many people I am sure have got great bargains in the process, and turned around and sold them for more. But I have made a lot of people happy with the simple pricing. I have had some great collections donated, and many records have gone in and out. At $1 a record (other than generous donors who round up their purchases, etc.) I have made over $1000 each of the last few years with this running vinyl record sale. Now, granted, many of these sales were to a few stalwart individuals who bought huge quantities of records at times, when great collections came in. Libraries, (schools) when they were clearing out their records donated many records.
I am gearing up the for sale next Saturday, and sold $40 worth today to a friend who got a sneak preview opportunity. The sale is held at the Sound Exchange, 3417 Murdoch Ave. Parkersburg. This is a locally owned used CD, DVD, and new CD store, and they have a collection of vinyl. They have been good partners for many of the sales, in the "inbetween" seasons of spring and fall. Sometimes in the summer I'll have an indoor (air conditioned) sale. I have a huge quantity of records I will never be able to sell stored away, so if anybody has any creative ideas for these records let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment