Saturday, March 13, 2010

April Fools!

On April Fools Day, April 1st (a Thursday) we will be having a little song swap/ guitar pull here at the Mid Town Family Resource Center, starting at 7 pm. The theme will be songs with Lyrics that Make No Sense. I came on this idea while at Mountain Stage a few weeks ago, and listening to the Sweetback Sisters sing Roger Miller's "My Uncle used to love me but she died." This rendition was a very creative and funky version, which harkened me back to all the songs I love (but whose lyrics you just can't quite make any logical sense of). Certain Beatles tunes, (Come Together, I am the Walrus), Bob Dylan (Quinn the Eskimo, You Ain't Going Nowhere) and Roger Miller (You can't rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd) come to mind. Greg Brown's Rooty toot toot to the Moon.
So this is an open invitation to music lovers in the Parkersburg area to come out and bring their musical instruments, and play us a song. This will be real informal and trading songs is encouraged. Kazoos will be provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment