Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A tribute to my father

I will be traveling this weekend to a memorial service for my father (who died in November) and it caused me to reflect on some of the strong positive traits he had, and how they relate to the work and values we try to incorporate into our work here at Children's Home Society of West Virginia.
My dad was:
- a good (skilled) listener; he could draw people out with his patient listening and open caring way
- he was warm, kind, and gentle (traits that are needed with many of the children we work with in CHS who have suffered a difficult life)
- he had a great sense of humor - he could see the folly of life
- he had a stoicism; a willingness to bear the difficulties of life; for himself and in solidarity with others
- he had a steady, solid work ethic: he was always there when he was needed
- he was firm in his own convictions; but did not impose those on others; letting them "find their own way"

I think these qualities and traits are admirable ones, and hopefully are characteristic of the way Children's Home Society "family" conducts their lives, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment